Sunday, January 25, 2009

Hamlet's Castle and Bar Night



Hello Everybody!

Yesterday was an amazing day for me. I was able to go to Hamlet's castle and see the surrounding area Elsinore. The castle is known as Kronborg and was the residence of many of the famous kings and queens of Denmark. Overall the town was very quaint and small. It's full of little shops, most of which either sell wine or are bakeries. Both of which are fine with me! The castle itself was really beautiful. The Danes are known for being very modest so the inside was not ornately decorated, but it was still old and historic. Our guide refused to show us where the ghost in Hamlet appeared because he says it is not based on historical fact. He also took us into the dungeon and through the bottom of the castle. It was incredibly freaky and looked pretty damn haunted!! I met a bunch of really awesome people during the trip and we all ended up hanging out together for the remainder of the day.

Now for the fun stuff!! Yesterday night the people I met and I went to the bar to go hang out. I had my first Carlsburg, a very good Danish beer. Although I don't love beer too much, it was actually pretty good. Once my friend posts her pictures I will be sure to add a picture of me drinking my beer!! It was the first night I got to go out since arriving in Copenhagen, so it was good to get out of the building and see nightlife in the city.

Today I am going to Frederiksborg Castle which is a Renaissance castle in Denmark and then when I get back it's time to crack down on some serious homework to get ready for classes tomorrow. It will be our first full week of classes!! eee! But I am really excited to get into the swing of things. It's must easier to adjust when you have a routine.

So all in all things are good here. I miss everyone terribly and although I am having a good time, I can't wait to see everyone in a few months.

Love you, Jenny

1 comment: