Friday, January 23, 2009

Hej fra København!



Hello from Copenhagen!!

For the next couple of months I will be updating the blog with pictures and synopses of what I am doing in and around Copenhagen. I hope that you can access this and see all about the adventures I have been having!! I''m going to post a few pictures on the blog. If you want to see more, you should get a facebook and friend me!!! I am sure to have many albums there by the end of the semester and I would love to share them with you all.

So far in Copenhagen I have been having a pretty rough time. On top of leaving the country for the first time and being extremely jet lagged, my housing situation was horrible. When I arrived my room in my kollegium (a type of Danish dorm) was not ready so they put my in the guest room. Any of you who have spoken to me or mom and dad know that my guest room was in fact a janitor's closet with no bathroom, internet access, or kitchen access. I was living in hell for 3 days!! After a minor mental breakdown in the housing coordinators office, I was put into temporary housing down the street in a dorm of all American students. While this is very very nice compared to my other room, I am very excited to move out on February 1st into my real room. I will be living with all Danish students and I will really be able to immerse myself into the culture. Who knows, they may even help me with my Danish homework! All together though, I will have moved 3 times since I have been here. It's been really difficult, but it keeps getting better everyday.

On one of our first days of orientation we did a scavenger hunt around the city and got to go to all of these amazing places. We went to King Christian IV's summer home, Hans Christian Anderson Park, Ameliarbor (Queen Margarethe's Palace), Parliament, and we even got to see the new opera house via a water bus. The day was beautiful and of course I forgot my camera, so a friend and I did the walk again and took pictures. Unfortunately my computer won't upload them right now, but don't worry I stole a bunch of other peoples pictures which are just as good and from the same day!! The one that I am putting in the blog is the main Lutheran Church of Denmark. It is beautiful outside and in!!! The architecture here is very quaint and beautiful. Row houses are colorful and quirky and the city is full of fun mixes of styles from every era.

Tomorrow I am going to Elsinore, Hamlet's Castle and I am very excited for this. The day after I am going to King Christian IV castle. If you haven't guessed King Christian IV is a BIG deal in Copenhagen. He planned almost the entire city and is responsible for some of the most famous buildings in and around Copenhagen. They forget that he almost made the country go bankrupt!! Monday I am having dinner with a visiting Danish family. Its a program similar to host family, but I don't have to live with them. They seem very very nice so far and I am thrilled that I get to make that kind of connection here.

That's all for now. Check back for more updates! I would love to hear from all of you. Love you and Miss You LOTS

6 comments:

  1. The adventure has just begun and will just keep getting better and better. I think it should be the theme of the whole semester.
    Love Mom,
    PS I'm first follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jenny!!! I told you I would become a follower, see: stalker. hehe.
    Loves you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jenny!

    I know you started out rough, but it will get better. Enjoy every minute and make the most of it. Awesome job on the blog site. Keep smiling girl!
    Luv, Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jenny

    Make a lot of friends and enjoy yourself. Your closet experience will just make you stronger. It will be a story you will tell for years to come.

    Uncle Larry

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi jen, Just posting for the fun of it, Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Jenny! Hope you're having a great time. Love looking at the pictures. So send when you can!

    Krista @ Remillard

    ReplyDelete