Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Long time no see!



So after a whole 2 and a half weeks, I have finally remembered to update my blog! I'm sorry it has taken me so long, but it's been a crazy couple of weeks here in Denmark. On February 1st I got to move into my new kollegium, Egmont. Its like a dorm, but we all share a kitchen and cook together. I love it here!!!! The person who had the room before me left the majority of her stuff for me because I am only subletting the room. This means that the room came with furnishings, decorations, a tv, and an entire cd collection! It really feels like home here. While it is difficult to make friends with the people here I have definitely started to become closer to the people I am living with. They are all Danish students and they have all known each other for a very long time. It's hard to be the outsider when they are already friends and speak in another language together. I can't tell them to speak in English, I just have to hope they will find something to talk to me about eventually. But I am good at being patient and eventually someone always talks to me. There are moments when it is lonely still, but for the most part I feel comfortable with the people I live with.
Just last week I went on a trip with my program to Western Denmark. We went to see Hans Christian Anderson's house and went to Aarhus, the 2nd largest city in Denmark. It was a lot of fun. At HCA's house we got go to the children's museum which is set up like a fairy tail complete with costumes to put on and facepaint. We ran around like we were five, it was excellent.
Otherwise classes are going alright. I like all of my classes except for my history class. I actually failed my first test in that class!!! But fortunately its not worth much of my grade and my grades don't count this semester. I have to say, I don't love the study part in study abroad.
I also booked my ticket to Greece for spring break which means I am officially off to visit Hilary, my best friend from home. It will be amazing. Next week we are booking train tickets to go to Hamburg for an earl weekend in March with a few of my friends here. I am really looking forward to this trip. I may also be going to Sweden with my family that I have here over Easter weekend. I feel like such a world traveler!!! Becky is officially coming to Denmark at the end of April and we will be going to Prague while she is here! And I am going to Amsterdam for a week with my school. I'm off to see the world apparently!!
From now on I am going to try and update the blog once a week, mostly on Sundays I think. Sorry it's taken me so long to update this time. For the first time I am truly enjoying Copenhagen and I am really enjoying being here. It's the experience of a lifetime and I am truly glad I came. I've learned a lot about myself and I think I really have grown so far in the 4 and a half weeks I have been here. There's nothing like being in a foreign country to make you into a stronger and more independent woman. I miss you all very much though and I am looking forward to seeing you again in May!! Only 3 more months!! Love you all!!

PS. I'm not sure if you can properly read that sign I posted, but we found that in a bar and thought it was really funny!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jen,
    The sign is legible, a bit sacrilegious but very cute. Also cute is you dressed up as a Dane. For a girl who barely left home, you sure have turned into one well traveled women. Glad you're safe and having fun.
    Love Lots, Love Forever,
    Auntie Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with my BFF Deb! But.. I usually do agree with my BRR Deb : )
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant BFF...but alas I have cataracts!

    ReplyDelete